Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Simplification in 2016

Happy 2016 to all!

We hope everyone will join us at Thursday’s Pathfinder Produce market at the Pathfinder Village Commons, from 1 to 5 p.m.  We have so many delicious and fresh fruits and vegetables that there’s something to tempt everyone’s taste buds.

***
New Year’s Eve always means a small get together with our oldest and dearest friends at Graceland, and this year was no exception.  We always have a toasty wood stove fire, a good meal, share the latest updates on families, talk about the gadgets that Santa brought, and sometimes the evening devolves into a Battle Royale in Scrabble (my 14 year-old is quite the strategist, having grown up with the game).  The festivities always wrap up before 10 p.m. …
yes, we are really that boring.

At some point, the discussion usually comes around to resolutions.  This year, along with continuing with last year’s resolution of really, really taking care of my teeth, I also resolved to simplify things.  I am not certain how one does that, but I have all of 2016 to learn.

I think through simplification, I want to de-clutter, de-stress, and just focus on “what has to get done” in the simplest way possible (without sacrificing quality, of course). The first step in this, I think, is to make an effort to spend more time reading books, going for more walks, and working on crafts that repurpose the flotsam and jetsam in my storage closet.  In other words, it’s time to spend less time looking at Facebook and other social networking sites during our evening downtime, and cultivate my brain in more traditional ways.

That ties into the “2” of the goals that we work for and advocate through our Edmeston Community 5210 Committee – five servings of fruits and vegetables daily, a limit of two hours of recreational screen time, one hour of fitness activities, and zero sugar-laden drinks. (I still need to work on the five and the one parts of this, but I pretty much have given up soda and sweet teas).

For starters, I have set up my great-great grandma’s treadle Singer sewing machine after a decade of it just sitting there, gotten it all running again, and have begun a machine-stitched quilt using the accumulated sweatshirts that my kids have amassed through the years.  Now mind you, I am not a seamstress, but it’s my theory that even a bad quilting job is good for the brain.

Until next time, be well and be kind to your cranium,

Lori