Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Push, Stretch, Take Charge

Hello!  We hope everyone is having a great week, and we’re looking forward to our next Pathfinder Produce fresh fruits and veggie markets in Edmeston and Morris.  Our Edmeston market, held at the Pathfinder Village Commons, is offered on Thursdays, from 1 to 5 p.m.  Our Morris market, held at the UMC at 17 Church St., is on Fridays, and now has expanded hours from Noon to 5 p.m. 

Our staff, volunteers, and members of our Adult Day Service programs all work hard to put on our two weekly markets – they all love what they do to support our communities and engage with local shoppers.  We have received some nice comments about the expansion of our markets as of late:  One person said, “Please send me prices.  Everyone does a great job,” and another offered, “Thank you for this important service.”  Others have asked to be added to our weekly price list email … just contact lgrace@pathfindervillage.org if you’d like to get weekly market updates J.  (And of course, we always cross post on our blog page and on Pathfinder Village’s Facebook page).

***
In 2017, I’m committing myself to getting things done on a regular basis and following through on things I keep putting off.  To that end:

·       I’m re-caning an antique rocking chair that’s been sitting around for years with a broken seat.  (I’m halfway done, but am having issues with the cane breaking. I feel a kinship with my friends who are Special Olympians by taking this on … "Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”).

  • I’m going to be diligent in organizing my household bills and statements, to better track and control expenses.
  • I want to eat healthier, and expand the varieties of foods I routinely eat.
  • I’m starting a modest fitness program, walking more and tracking how much I walk each day.
  • I’m doing sit-ups to strengthen my abs and back, and trying to stretch more.  I’m up to 25 sit-ups a day … I’ll never have abs of steel, but I already feel a difference in the two weeks I’ve been doing this. 

I suspect that as we go through our lives, our basic human reaction in most situations is to let things coast – as Scarlet O’Hara said, “I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.”  And yet, through procrastination, we actually deny ourselves the buzz one gets from crossing things off the list.  In answer to Miss Katie Scarlet, I might offer that if I actively manage the things I can control … like fixing a chair, or balancing my checkbook, I can gain perspective on those things that can’t be immediately addressed.  (Plus, if you take things in bite-sized pieces, it sometimes makes larger tasks less daunting).

And talking about bite-sized pieces …. (How’s that for a segue?), this week’s food item to try was quinoa, which was a staple food of the Incas and is making a come-back as a “super food.” 

The first time we cooked this at my house, about a year ago, it didn’t go well.  We forgot to rinse the uncooked grains, and it turned into a gooey, gelatinous mess.  So with subsequent tries, we’ve followed the package directions TO THE LETTER, and we’re now really starting to enjoy it.  I’ve also finally learned how to pronounce it…KEEN-wah (not quin–no-ah J).  It turns out that this “pseudo cereal,” which is very tasty with a slight nutty flavor, is really good for you, and makes a nice alternative to rice, pasta or potatoes.  It is gluten-free, which is also a benefit for those who suffer from celiac disease.

Until next time, push, stretch, take charge and be well,

Lori