Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Fitness Trackers & Tech Stuff

Welcome to 2017!  All of us Pathfinder Produce are eager to help you and your families with your food purchases and healthy eating goals.  We’re local, we’re fresh, and we’re competitively priced … what’s not to love about Pathfinder Produce.

Our Edmeston market, located in the Pathfinder Commons, is open from 1 to 5 p.m. on Thursdays, and the Morris market, a partnership program among Pathfinder, Bassett Healthcare’s 5210 Program and the United Methodist Church, 17 Church St., is open on Fridays from 1 to 4 p.m.

Please note that during the winter months, we have to keep our eye on the weather … to learn if the markets are closed due to storms, please check your email if you’re on our weekly mail list, or our weekly blog or Pathfinder Village Facebook Page.  Or, simply call Pathfinder Village at (607) 965-8377.

***

Last week’s weather brought about the perennial discussion among the lunchtime crew about how much people love or detest the snow.  Of course, we’re all inconvenienced by the soggy flaky stuff at times, and some folks genuinely struggle, especially if they have Seasonal Affected Disorder.  Others absolutely love it, want to play in it, and can see past the cold to delight in the beauty of a new fallen mantle of white.

I love winter myself, especially the bright, sunny days.  This year, I will push myself to get outside, to breathe in the fresh air, and to study the nuances of nature.  To that end this holiday season I bought myself, my daughter, and my mom some less-expensive (but perfectly working) fitness tracking bracelets as gifts.

My daughter loves hers, and as she walks a lot at her job, she was pleased with her initial results.  We didn’t have any trouble linking the bracelet up through a Bluetooth connection to her phone, so she may track her activity level.  The bracelets I bought track your daily steps, calories burned, distance walked, and also keep time.

I discovered a little too late that that my bracelet wouldn’t link to my phone, an early iPhone.  I tried to link the bracelet up to a computer at my house, but the application it requires is for cell phones only.  However, the phone can link to an older Android phone my son plays with (it’s not on a plan, connects to Wi-Fi, and runs a later version of Android OS and has Bluetooth 4.0).  So I’m all set for my tracking purposes.

(I may actually try to teach myself to hack an earlier model Android phone from its Éclair version of Android OS to a more current version, but that’s going to stretch my technical skills and could end up “bricking” the phone.  I find it fascinating that they call all the versions of Android firmware after sugary desserts, from cupcake through nougat).

But what to do about my mom’s bracelet?  She likes to walk her dog in the mornings, so I thought the bracelet would be a good gift so she may see how much she walks.  After considering the options, I bought a $20 Tracfone that runs Android KitKat and Bluetooth 4.0.  (There’s no contract, connects to WiFi, and can be at the ready in case her flip phone bites the dust).  It should arrive tonight, and it should be straight forward to download the app to the new phone.

The app itself is easy to use, so I hope it encourages all of us to keep walking, even during the depths of an upstate winter.  Who knows, I may even venture into other easy-to-do activities to get fit in 2017.

Until next time, move more and be well!


Lori