Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Independence Day Thoughts

Our growing season is in full swing, and our Pathfinder Hoop House is increasing its production each week.  We recently have been successful in obtaining several grants from our Foundation and Community Service Partners, and plans are in the works to install two new hoop houses soon.  We’re looking forward to growing more and greater varieties of terrific veggies to put on sale.

Come on down to Pathfinder Produce at the Village Commons this Thursday, July 7, from 1 to 5 p.m. to this week, to see all our great fresh fruit and veggie items.  We’ll be looking for you!

***

Happy belated Independence Day!

This past weekend went by in a whirl, with my niece’s graduation party, and a gathering with my folks for July 4th fireworks.  There was lots of great food, including different fresh fruit and veggie dishes – we tried a non-mayo German potato salad recipe and grilled asparagus this weekend.  The potato salad was zesty, and I can’t say enough about the asparagus, which had a slight smoky flavor … I highly recommend it!

Despite all the social fun, I also worked in the garden and finished my lawn clean-up project -- the unruly pile of soil has been conquered.  As one works in the soil, it’s easy to reflect on the agricultural past (especially as I found an old horseshoe), and I've been reading more history too.  I'm re-visiting David McCullough’s "1776," and I'm up to July, when Washington's army first hears the “Declaration of Independence.”  That moment 240 years ago brought the colonists’ fight into sharper focus and solidified the idea of America as a somewhat cohesive, sovereign nation.

Of course, that means in just a decade, our nation will be celebrating 250 years of independence.  I remember the year-long Bicentennial celebration, with its specially minted coins, the red, white and blue everything, the great fireworks displays, and the tall ships sailing into New York harbor.  Groups are already gearing up for July 4, 2026, including USA250.

I think that you can play on the red, white, and blue theme anytime, and it’s always fun to dress up your food for picnics and parties all summer long.  Here are a few ideas from around the internet for patriotic flair.


Until next time, enjoy these great days of summer!


Lori