Monday, June 27, 2016

More on Screen Time

Congratulations to all our grads!  It’s been a busy few weeks with lots of parties to celebrate the accomplishments of our students.  If you’re having a graduation party or a July 4th get-together, come on down to the Village Commons for Pathfinder Produce, this Thursday, June 30, from 1 to 5 p.m.

We’ve got a great variety of fresh produce and other items, and our staff is ready and waiting to help you with your purchases.  We hope to see you then!

***
A while ago, I wrote on reducing one’s screen time, and I’ve been taking my own advice to heart.  I’ve tried to look at electronic screens less, not be so hooked into my social network feeds, and become more physically active at home.

To that end, I took on a job I’d put off for too long … leveling out a large pile of soil that sits out back.  The soil, taken from an old barn, was carted in a few years ago for garden beds and fixing spots in the lawn.  I cut back all the wayward weeds, and this Saturday, I started the task in earnest, screening the dirt so that I could use it where it’s needed.  I must say, it was a “grate” work out!

My tools for the task were simple, and all are treasured “friends” that have been relied on many times.  There’s the large wheelbarrow and the sturdy shovel and rake, used on many gardening and concrete jobs.  And the old pick and straight clawed hammer, which I used like a geology hammer to break up compacted soil.

I also used my grandfather’s old cultivator to level the pile and ferret out rocks.  As I used it, I could hear the voices of my grandparents, talking about how dry the weather has been.  But because it has been dry, it made the screening job go much easier – no clumps.

My actual screening tool, though, is a bit of a wonky idea.  I used a beat up tennis racket, which was supported over the wheelbarrow.  I took a half-shovel of dirt, put it on the racket, and sifted out the stems, roots, and stones.  The old racket did a great job in creating a fine, rich soil, although it took time to make a full load.

If you take on a job like this, you will encounter creatures, like mealworms and night crawlers, ants and spiders, and even an occasional millipede (ugh).  But, like an archeologist, you may also find some artifacts -- I found glass and pottery shards, nuts and bolts, baling twine and an old cow’s tooth.

Physically, the sifting provided a sustained workout for my legs, mid-torso (lots of steady twisting), and upper arms.  I got a bit sunburned and bug-bit, and I had to drink lots of water to keep hydrated.  By the end of the weekend, I was sore all over, but I felt mentally relaxed and satisfied with the progress made.

Until next time, unplug, get moving, and enjoy the outdoors,

Lori