Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Weed Identification and Guacamole Gate



We hope everyone will join us this Thursday, July 9, from 1 to 5 p.m. for another tempting Pathfinder Produce fresh fruits and veggies market.  We’re pleased to announce that more New York State grown produce items are coming to market now, and our oh-so-delicious homegrown Hoop House items are sure to please your family!
****
This weekend was a busy one, with area families hosting post-graduation parties, Independence Day picnics, and everyone taking advantage of the nice weather for mowing and other outdoor work.  At the Grace homestead, we spent some much-needed time in the garden.

First on the “to do” list was to weed the transplanted bed of wild strawberries, which have done well.  The plants have adapted to their new garden home and are throwing out runners.  In as much as these are wild strawberries, I should probably add a few domesticated plants, so that way the resulting fruits next year (fingers crossed) will be larger than the end of my pinky.

My son and I also removed weeds from the other two beds, which are mostly planted in spinach, green lettuce and kale.  We had a discussion about how to identify weeds, based on a large mullein plant that is growing on our property.  The garden weeds included crab and quack grass, carpet weed, garlic mustard, plantain and a few others.  There are many handy internet websites available to figure out what weed you’ve got, like those posted by the University of California and the University of IllinoisEven master forager Steve Brill, who eats his way through NYC’s Central Park, offers an “app for that” from his website.

A few weeks ago I removed many of the spinach plants, which were going to seed, and replanted; I wasn’t sure those seeds would germinate because of all the rain.  However, a few have started to grow.  This weekend, my kale needed to be thinned, and my lettuce had gotten “leggy,” so I tore out the tired plants and put in some fresh rows.  (I was smart this year and actually bought several seed packets of each green, so that I could replant). 

My small crop of peas also has started to come in, so we picked the pods that were ready.  Coupled with other fresh produce -- watermelon, greens, and avocados -- it was quite a delicious weekend.  Little did I know until I perused the news Sunday morning that the “Twitter-scape” was in an uproar over the New York Times’ recommendation of adding peas to the traditional recipe for guacamole.  Even the President and his potential successors weighed in against the addition. (We didn’t put peas in ours … my son makes it with just a bare minimum of ingredients and there are never any leftovers).

Until next time, enjoy the outdoors and all the fresh tastes of summer,

Lori