Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Raspberries Revisited



We hope everyone will come out this Thursday, July 23, for our next bountiful market at Pathfinder Produce. Our Hoop House veggies are now available, and offer a great way to share summer's finest flavors with your family!  We hope to see all our friends and neighbors at the Village Commons from 1 to 5 p.m.

****
Last week we discussed some of the great things about raspberries from a nutritional standpoint, so this week I thought I’d share a few different recipes that feature these red orbs of deliciousness.  As I was web surfing, it became apparent that raspberries are most commonly used as a dessert ingredient, rather in entrees.  So, I thought, “Game On!”

Truthfully, the best way to enjoy raspberries is just by themselves, with maybe a mere hint of sweetener if they are on the tart side.  But raspberries are so delicious, there really isn’t any reason they can’t be used in everything from smoothies to muffins to salads.

As I continued researching recipes, the inner historian said, “Hey, look in some of your old cookbooks and see what folks used to do with berries.”  My beloved 1940s Irma Rombauer “Joy of Cooking,” which has rarely let me down, was full of sweetened jellies, pies, and ices, but no main dishes.  My 1960s “New York Times Cookbook” by Craig Claiborne, a much used wedding gift, only offered up a recipe for Cold Berry Soup.  I think if I try this I would substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream in the recipe, and I’m not sure that the addition of red wine would be necessary.

There isn’t an online version of Claiborne’s soup, so here it is:

2 cups fresh raspberries
½ cup sugar
½ cup sour cream (substitute yogurt)
2 cups ice water
½ cup red wine (I’m surprised the master chef didn’t say what type of wine!)

Run the berries through a fine sieve. Add sugar to taste and the sour cream (yogurt).  Mix. Add the water and wine and correct the sweetening.  Chill.

And so, after some searching, I’ve come up with a variety of non-dessert recipes to try:


Until next time, we hope to see you at Pathfinder Produce, and be well!

Lori