Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A newfound zest for Potato Salad


Hello everyone, and welcome to summer!  Come on down to Pathfinder Produce on
7-11 to get all your fresh and delicious fruits and veggies for your summertime meals and get-togethers with friends and family!  We’re convenient, competitively priced, and we’ve got the friendliest market staff around!

After the long weekend with its picnics and Independence Day gatherings, it’s great to know that the good times will continue with family reunions, weddings, showers, and even late graduation parties. For your celebratory meals, you can’t go wrong with veggie and fruit dishes, they are tried and true. Below, my colleague Martha Spiegel relates a new twist on some standard summer fare, potato salad.

***

My sister-in-law recently amazed me with something unexpected: potato salad! Amazing? Unexpected? Potato salad? Yes! I’ll explain.

I have never been a fan of most mayo-based salads. And the thought of eating cold, mealy potatoes really turns me off. I have had German Potato Salad, which is served warm and is not very salad-like, so I tend to think of it more as a hot side with a heavy meal, and it’s not something I’d bring to a picnic or barbecue. And with mayo-based salads, you have to be so careful about keeping them cold or they become unsafe to eat.

So a few weeks back we visited with my husband’s three sisters. The one who was hosting this family dinner said she was serving potato salad and she really wanted me to try it because she was sure that I would love it. I cringed inwardly and tried to plan polite things to say about it. Then she brought out this beautiful bowl of potatoes with not a hint of mayo. I was intrigued. She said it was Lemon Potato Salad, and it was made with olive oil.

I scooped a small amount onto my plate and took a bite. It was room temperature, maybe on the cool side, but not refrigerator cold. The potatoes were flavorful, definitely not mealy, and I did love it after all! I’m not ashamed to say that I had seconds. 

Apparently, the secret is pouring some of the dressing, which is made with lemon zest, over the potatoes while they are still hot so they soak it up. Aside from grating a bunch of lemon zest, it’s a very simple recipe, and the recipe blog gives a few options for adding different herbs to put different spins on it.

So yes, I was unexpectedly amazed at how much I enjoyed that potato salad, and now I have something new to bring to my next pot luck!

Until next time, try something new and be well!

Martha (and Lori)