Wednesday, August 2, 2017

It's Baaacckkk!!!!

We invite everyone to this week’s delicious Pathfinder Produce market, where we have the freshest produce, the most helpful staff, and some really great pricing.  Our market is set for the Pathfinder Village Commons, here in Edmeston, from 1 to 5 p.m.  We look forward to seeing you!

As you will see on our price list, many of our Pathfinder Hoop House grown products are now being sold at the market.  Our thanks go out to the Adult Day Services team, whose members tend our delicate plants and harvest our fruits and veggies with loving care.  They really do an outstanding job in adding even more fresh produce choices for our loyal customers to enjoy.  And the fruits and veggies … they are oh, so good! 

Below, my colleague Martha Spiegel shares some thoughts on one of the joys of summer, sweet corn.   

***
Something my family looks forward to every year is the return of sweet corn. My husband and I grew up eating New Jersey sweet corn (the best in the world, as far as we’re concerned—sorry New York!). During our time living in Arizona, we really missed it. When we moved our family back to the east coast in the summer of 1996, one of the first things we sought out was sweet corn. We actually wound up eating it almost every day until the end of the season. 

We had a debate the other night about the best way to cook it. My husband prefers it boiled, but our daughter-in-law loves it grilled. I love it either way, and my grandkids don’t seem too choosy about it either.

I saw that local corn is in now, so I’ll give you some recipes for grilled corn-on-the-cob so you can try it for yourself. This blog post gives three ways to grill corn, with advantages and disadvantages to each. They also mention a quick microwave method that I just heard of from a friend last night which could be convenient for a single serving.

I feel like everyone has their own method of boiling corn-on-the-cob, from what you add to the water to how long to boil it for; I won’t jump into that debate except to mention that I recently heard of boiling corn in milk. That was a new one to me, and I think I may give it a try. Here’s that recipe.

If you have a favorite way to prepare corn on the cob, let us know. We’re always willing to lend an ear!

Until next time, enjoy all the fresh produce and ways to share it with your loved ones!


Martha (and Lori)