Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Apple Storage

We hope that everyone will come down for the next delicious Pathfinder Produce market, this Thursday, October 6, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Village Commons.  There are so many great items to choose from … it’s like voting for your favorite fruits and veggies!  (Our theme for October as National Down Syndrome Awareness month is ‘My Vote Counts!’)
It’s the top of the harvest season and there’s always something new to try, or you can use produce you know well in different ways.  CHOICE … it’s what makes food shopping an adventure!
***
This past weekend was one of those where I wanted to get lots of work done, and one project just sort of segued into the next.  One of the first things accomplished was to store a bushel of Cortland apples, which my mom brought me on Saturday morning. 
Cortlands are a cross of McIntosh and Ben Davis apples, and were developed through research at the NYS Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva in 1898.  They are red-and-green skinned, slightly tart, and have a white interior that resists browning. They are good for fruit salads, pies, and sauce.  Apparently they freeze well too.
With that many apples on hand, I had to make a few pies, based on the universal clamor of the troops. I’m still looking to perfect my whole wheat pie crust -- based on last week’s thoughts on butter and Julia Child, I tried to make a traditional butter crust.  The dough worked easily and was really flaky.  I tried to cut down on the sugar in the filling to try to make the pies a bit healthier.  The results were decent, but my pies just aren’t as good as my mom’s or grandma’s!
Proper apple storage is key and fortunately, I was able to clear out enough space in my crisper drawers to store the apples I hadn’t used for baking. I removed any leaves and blotted off any water that was on them, trying not to polish off the bloom; that’s the hazy white coating which is a naturally emitted wax that helps keep fruit moist.  I gently placed the apples in the drawers, and kept any blemished fruits out to prevent rotting issues. (As the old saying goes, “One bad apple can spoil the bunch.”).
Of course, doing this reminded me of times when I’ve seen other storage procedures. When I was a kid, my grandmother would gently wrap each apple in newspaper and then store them in the old Westinghouse (Or was it a Philco? That thing ran like a champ for 50 years!) It was kept in “the old kitchen,” which had been converted into my grandfather’s workshop, which was an icebox itself during winter months.  The room still had vestiges of a 1900s kitchen and was a dimly lit place that was magical with its disordered mix of tools, spare parts, and the flotsam and jetsam of farm living.
Of course, farm families from earlier eras had to over-winter their apples too; I remember the staff at The Farmers’ Museum, Cooperstown, would dry apple rings by hanging them on a string over the hearth.  And then, a good number of apples would be used to make cider with a hand press, with the amber liquid being stored in barrels, and the pomace being used to fatten the pigs.  Of course, these families all had root cellars too, used for potatoes, carrots, turnips; other produce would be placed under the rafters to store until needed.
After the apple storage and pie baking, I turned my attention to other projects, all part of regular fall preparations.  My husband and son went to one of our neighbor’s farm stands, and they brought home some winter squash.  But that’s another story for another week. 
Until then, enjoy the best of fall’s flavors!
Lori