Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Transplants



We hope everyone will join us for another tempting Pathfinder Produce fresh fruit and vegetable market at the Village Commons this Thursday, May 28, from 1 to 5 p.m.

Just a reminder … tomorrow is the end of early registration for Splash Path.  After that each registration fee goes up by $5, and later registrants are not guaranteed a 2015 tee nor other goodies.  The event, set for Saturday, June 13, has registration at 9 am, with the color burst at 10 am.  This year we’re adding a family fun post-run party with exhibits, a DJ and a great raffle auction.

****
Well, I haven't gotten to transplanting any strawberries, and I have to fess up that my garden took a hit with the two untimely frosts we've had over the last two weeks. I'll wait a little bit before I replant some of my veggies. Even my cold weather crops were affected, so the next time I hear of frost warnings, I will pay closer heed and cover up the raised beds.

However, I did transplant some other plants that I was given at a family Memorial Day get-together. The first was a small white lilac that my sister had brought to share. The lilac has a bit of history … it started its journey at my father's family's century-old farm in Sullivan County. My grandmother had quite an extensive growth of both white and purple lilacs on the hill leading up to the old post-and-beam farmhouse.

During the 1980s, several of my sisters took shoots to propagate, just before the farm was sold. My one sister had luck in having her lilac grow although it took about two decades for it to bloom (it may have been in the shade). Now it's my turn to see if the family lilac will grow at my homestead.

The second transplant project was a tiny black walnut tree, a spindly stowaway that was hidden in another potted plant. I did a little reading on where one should plant these, and it now has a new home out back where the soil is rich and seems to be well drained.  If you ever plant nut trees, place them where they are away from your house, cars and other important landscape features. Dropping nuts will dent metal roofs and cars.

If the little tree makes it (i.e., doesn't get eaten by critters, or mowed by the teenage son) it will be many, many years before it bears a crop. But there's just something very satisfactory in planting a young sprig and watching it grow. There's also something majestic about black walnut trees … perhaps it is just that they are distinct and more rare than our typical maples, ash and poplar trees.

Black walnuts are not something we typically offer at Pathfinder Produce, but they are not difficult to find in regular stores, and even can be ordered online. Walnuts have been hailed over the last several years, along with other tree nuts, as being excellent additions to the diet. Walnuts are high in fiber, low in saturated fats, high in good fats (mono- and polyunsaturated) that help fight bad cholesterol, and offer plenty of phytonutrients that act as antioxidants, anti-inflammatory substances and promote liver health.-Both the Worlds Healthiest Foods and the Missouri State Center for Agroforestry offer some extensive write-ups on how walnuts are healthy, and how you can tastefully introduce them into your diet.

Until next time, enjoy your garden and some healthy walnuts, and be well.

Lori