Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Sweet Reward of Summer



We hope everyone will join us for this week’s Pathfinder Produce market at the Village Commons, Thursday from 2 to 5 p.m.  We have everyone’s summer favorite, watermelon, on sale and our Hoop House produce now includes fresh carrots and “Pride of PV” sweet corn. 



*********




Guest blog by Martha Spiegel,
Development Assistant, Pathfinder Village

It's August, so grab the picnic basket and blanket and take advantage of these last precious days of summer!

One of my earliest food associations with summer picnics is eating watermelon with some of the teenagers from my church. I was only 4 or 5 years old, but they let me hang around with them, which made me feel really cool.  We'd all grab big slices of watermelon and make up various games centered around "pit spitting”--not typically acceptable public behavior, but in the midst of a backyard summer picnic it was great fun, and even my mom and dad joined in.

My family also attended the Watermelon Festival in Montrose, Iowa on several occasions while visiting my grandmother who lived nearby. I remember endless tables of all the free watermelon you could eat! I even won a contest one year for eating my slice of melon the fastest. The Montrose Watermelon Festival celebrated its 70th year this month.

Joe Carcione, a consumer advocate better known as The Green Grocer, said that “watermelon is the only way to eat, drink and wash your face at the same time.”  While watermelons are in fact 92% water, providing a sweet, nutritious snack and delicious hydration, I can't say that I recommend the face washing part! Watermelon is a versatile fruit, though. In addition to munching on a juicy, chin-dripping slice or cutting chunks into a fruit salad, you can pickle the rinds, blend the flesh into delicious icy beverages, and I've just learned that they are quite tasty when grilled. I will certainly be trying this soon.

Watermelons were recently highlighted in a feature in the New York Times; in fact, the Times has quite a few articles about this celebrated summer treat detailing its history, ways it may be prepared, seeded vs. seedless, and even how best to store watermelons for the best flavor.

For a fruit with so much water content, it also delivers a lot of nutritional value. According to World’s Healthiest Foods (whfoods.org), “Watermelon is an unusual fruit source of the carotenoid lycopene and a rich source of phenolic antioxidants. Watermelon contains cucurbitacin E, a triterpene anti-inflammatory phytonutrient, and unusual amounts of the amino acid citrulline. Watermelon is a very good source of vitamin C. It is also a good source of pantothenic acid, copper, biotin, potassium, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), vitamin B1, vitamin B6, and magnesium.” All of that for a mere 46 calories per cup. You can read more about it here: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=31

Watermelon is currently in season in New York, so dig in to this nutritious summer treat.  And, if you want to spit the pits, I won't tell!

Best regards,

Martha