Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Home Remedies

Hello everyone!  We invite everyone to come to our next delicious Pathfinder Produce market, which is open at the Village Commons this Thursday, January 11, from 1 to 5 p.m.  We’ve got a great selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, all at a very competitive price, all to help you eat well and stay healthy.  Check it out!

In this week’s blog, my colleague Martha Spiegel considers home remedies, now that the cold and flu season is with us.

***
Home remedies

I have had an annoying cough for a few days, and have gotten some advice from friends and family about some home remedies that might help. That got me thinking about home remedies in general, and how many are factual and how many have more of a  placebo effect.    So I conducted a very informal survey and then did some research. Here are some of the suggestions, and what I found out.

Vicks® VapoRub™ on the forehead for headaches, or on the feet for a cough: I have heard many, many uses for Vicks, and confirming or debunking all of them would be quite a project. Vicks is advertised as a cough suppressant and an analgesic for muscle aches. The vapors from the camphor, menthol and eucalyptus oil will clear a stuffy nose very quickly, thus relieving headaches resulting from congestion. The company advises rubbing it on the chest and throat for a cough so that the vapors can be inhaled; I suspect rubbing in on your forehead would have the same effect, although it can cause your eyes to burn. Rubbing it on your feet, then would be counterintuitive (unless perhaps with small children who’s feet aren’t that far from their noses!). 

Warm milk for insomnia: This falls under the “maybe” category. It has never been scientifically proven or disproven. Some sleep experts were interviewed and the consensus was that it works for some people, perhaps for various reasons—comfort in the warm milk, being part of a bedtime ritual, etc.

Plain white rice for diarrhea: This is medically proven, and part of what is known as the BRAT diet—Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. They are all bland, low in fiber, and easily tolerated by most people; thus this remedy is commonly recommended by doctors. I also found that cooked white rice is also effective for the same condition in dogs.

Honey and lemon for cough, sore throat:   According to mayoclinic.org, honey appears to be as effective as cough medicine on children over age 2. It is also soothing to the throat. Adding lemon can help cut the mucus. If the honey and lemon are added to hot tea, there is also steam for the sinuses.

Neti pot to clear sinuses: My sister swears by her neti pot. I’m pretty sure if I used one I’d pour it down my shirt instead, so I have not tried it. Used properly, however, it can be very effective in clearing the sinuses using only a saline solution.

Chicken soup for a cold: One of my favorite things to eat when I have a cold is matzoh ball soup, which has a chicken base. Being unable to find it in any diner nearby, my husband learned to make it (for which I am very grateful!). Chicken soup is warm, so it’s comforting. The steam from a hot bowl of soup is good for the sinuses. The salt is soothing to the throat, and tastes much better than a salt water gargle. There are also healthy nutrients, which vary with the ingredients used.   This article does a nice job of summing up why, even though the soup is not curative, it does make someone feel better. And like my parents say, “It couldn’t hurt!”

In the end, I found that many home remedies can be effective, and many just have comforting effects which can also be helpful. It is advisable to do your own research before trying any home remedy to make sure it won’t cause harm, and always call your medical provider if you have any doubts or if your symptoms persist or worsen.

Until next time, take care and be well!


Martha (and Lori)